YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
MAY 8, 2017 - 7:00 PM
PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
Call to Order - Ms. Shaffer
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment. All comments and questions will be addressed to the President. Board and staff members will not normally respond to comments or questions during the meeting unless recognized by the President for this purpose. Comments will be limited, at the discretion of the President, to five minutes or less.
- Board President's Report - Ms. Shaffer, Vice-President
July to December 2017 Committee Schedule
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Merkle
- School Division Report - High School
- Charter School Update
- The Administration will be recommending approval of the application for Act 80 days for the 2017-18 school year for the following dates and reasons:
August 14 - In-service for all staff
August 15 - In-service for all staff
October 4 - Parent/Teacher Conferences for all staff
November 1 - In-service program for elementary staff
November 3 - In-service program for secondary staff
March 9 - In-service for all staff
May 25 - In-service for all staff
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the addition of two full-time aide positions for the Emotional Support program at the intermediate (grade 3-5) level. The district previously contracted with the LIU for these positions. With the change in teacher, it is an appropriate time to change the enitre staff and there will be a cost savings.
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the addition of two full-time aide positions for the Autistic Support program at the primary (K-2) level. These positions were considered as a part of the package when the Board approved the transfer of the Autistic support program from the LIU and these positions were considered as a part of the total savings that the district would realize from this change.
- The Administration will provide a brief update on the planned changes to stadium access.
- Let's Talk YS - Dr. Merkle will provide an overview of the recent forums.
- Business Office Report - Ms. Mason
- Items being recommended for approval on May 22, 2017.
- The Administration recommends Board adoption of the resolution to approve the 2017-18 General Operating Fund Budget in the amount of $___ and to set the real estate tax rate at ___mills. This represents a ___% increase which is ___to the state index set for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- The Administration recommends Board adoption of the resolution authorizing the distribution of $___ of state gaming funds to ___eligible homestead properties and ___ farmstead property under Section 342 of Act 1. This certified amount is ___ more/less than the amount certified for the 2016-17 year. The real estate tax reduction amount applicable to each approved homestead for 2017-18 is $___.
- The Administration recommends Board approval for the Director of Finance to authorize all of the necessary transfers required for the 2016-17 fiscal year that are needed after June 30, 2017.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the following Depositories for 2017-18:
- Adams County National Bank
- Pennsylvania School District Liquid Asset Fund (PSDLAF)
- Integrity Bank
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the LIU Joint Purchasing Bids - Custodial Supplies, General Supplies, Paper Supplies and Art Supplies.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the revised Use of Facilities Fee Schedule.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of The Glatfelter Agency, a Division of Glatfelter Insurance Group, as Broker of Record for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the bid to Virco in the amount of $___ for furniture for Valley View Elementary, Yorkshire Elementary and the High School.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the appointment of the firm, Stock and Leader Attorneys at Law, Solicitor for the District for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of Pittsburgh Stage to do the stage renovations at the High School Auditorium, which include replacement of the curtains, relocation of the rigging and replacing the floor for a total cost of $138,000.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the contract with Wisehaven Event Center at a cost of $1,000 for the room and $3.00 per person for food and beverage for the Homecoming Dance to be held on October 7, 2017.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the Catering Sales Agreement with Wyndham Garden for the Prom to be held on May 19, 2018. The room rental is $1,000.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the three year agreement with Wellspan for athletic trainer services at an annual cost of $28,500.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the establishment of the Student Activity Account, York Suburban Middle School Yearbook Club, for the purposes of raising funds to pay for yearbooks and purchasing yearbook club supplies.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the five year contract with Whitson's Culinary Group as the Food Service Management Company to be renewed annually as required by the PA Department of Education.
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the 2017-18 Food Service Budget of $___ and set the lunch and breakfast prices as follows:
Proposed Meal Prices - 2017-18
$.10 Increase (Lunch)
- The Administration recommends Board approval of a contract with Lead Smart Coaching, LLC in the amount of $3,700 for a day of administrative training and ongoing coaching in the area of mindfulness and school leadership.
- Student Board Representative Report - Peyton Stuart
- Committee Reports - Ms. Shaffer
- Finance Committee - Mr. Posenau
The minutes of March 29 are provided.
- Policy Review Committee - Mr. Thoman
- The minutes of February 14 are provided.
- Policies reviewed by committee.
- 808 Food Services
- 815 Acceptable Use of Technology Resources
- Code of Conduct
- 005-BOG-* Nominating Committee Function
- Policies reviewed by the administrative team with minor revisions.
- 119 Current Events
- 121 Field Trips
- 122 Extracurricular Activities
- 123 Interscholastic Athletics
- 123.1 Management of Athletes with Concussions/Return to Play
- 146 Student Services
- Policies reviewed by the administrative team with no change.
- 107 Adoption of Planned Instruction
- 108 Adoption of Textbooks
- 109 Resource Materials
- 112 Guidance Counseling
- 113 Special Education
- 113.1 Discipline of Students with Disabilities
- 113.4 Confidentiality of Special Education Student Information
- 114 Gifted Education
- 123.2 Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- 124 Alternative Instruction Courses
- 140 Charter Schools
- 143 Standards for Persistently Dangerous Schools
- 144 Standards for Victims of Violent Crimes
- Additional Committee Reports/Announcements
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit - Mr. Robinson
The "...by Dawn's Early Light", highlights of the LIU Board meeting of May 2 is provided.
- York Adams Academy - Mrs. Freireich
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
The YCST Joint Operating Committee Mini-Board Report of April 27 is provided.
- Board Meeting and Committee Schedule
- Comments and/or Questions from the Public. All comments and questions will be addressed to the President. Board and staff members will not normally respond to comments or questions during the meeting unless recognized by the President for this purpose. Comments will be limited, at the discretion of the President, to five minutes or less.
There will be an opportunity for public comment at the end of each report.