WellSpan Sports Medicine
WellSpan Sports Medicine provides medical support for the York Suburban Athletic program. The Athletic Trainer primarily responsible for the high school is Joe Koncewicz, Jr. (LAT, ATC). The Athletic Trainer primarily responsible for the middle school is Dee Chambers (MS, ATC). The physician primarily dedicated to YSSD is Dr. Nathan Bucks, DO. Finally, if any students are injured to the degree where surgery is needed, WellSpan has two fellowship trained sports medicine surgeons: Dr. John Deitch, MD and Dr. Craig Ruder, MD. Brief bios for the WellSpan Sports Medicine Team are available on the center of this web page.
To contact the AthleticTrainer at the High School: 717-885-1270 x 8248
To contact the Athletic Trainer at the Middle School: 717-885-1260
WellSpan Sports Medicine Hotline: 717-851-3136 or 877-482-5420 (toll free)
York Suburban School District Policy on Management of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion in the Student Athlete
- The AT will administer the ImPACT test and will send the results to the treating physician.
- The AT will provide a note to the athlete’s PE teacher excusing the athlete from PE as well as any activity that may raise the heart rate and further delay healing.
- If necessary, the athlete will provide a doctor’s note to the guidance office to implement any academic accommodations that may be needed during the recovery period.
- The athlete must be symptom free at rest.
- The athlete must be symptom free with exertion.
- The athlete must have ImPACT scores that are within established normal range of baseline testing.
- The treating physician must provide a signed, written release for the athlete to return to activity.
- The athlete must have a normal neurologic/physical exam.