We Are YS Proud!
Academic/Activity Bus Schedules
There are two activity buses that run from the high school - one eastbound and one westbound - on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Students MUST obtain a bus pass from a teacher or activity sponsor to ride either bus.
Buses pick up at the back lobby of the high school by the cafeteria.
The eastbound bus picks up around 4:05 pm and the westbound bus picks up around 4:30 pm. Click on the link above for a detailed list of stops that each bus makes and the approximate times. These buses only stop at the locations listed on the schedule. Students are expected to find their own way home from the listed stops.
Determining your Stop:
York Suburban High School is pleased to welcome college education majors pursuing their required field experience hours into our classrooms. Students will be exposed to a variety of instructional techniques and curriculum objectives even in a short period of time. However, to ensure the safety and security of our students as well as ensuring the college student has a meaningful experience, students must follow the following procedures:
- Request permission to complete observation hours at York Suburban High School. The request must be made in writing (e-mail is permitted) to Brian Ellis, High School Principal. (email@example.com). The request must include the following:
- The student name
- The associated college course
- The number of hours needed
- The specific dates and times when the student will be available
- The content area the student wishes to observe
- Stated confirmation that the student has obtained the three required clearances
Requests must be received at least two weeks in advance of any observation. Furthermore, the high school limits the number of observers per content area, so students should make arrangements as soon as possible.
- This information will be forwarded to content area teachers who will make arrangements for observation times directly with the student.
- On the first day of the observation the student must come immediately to the main office. The student is required to provide proof that the student is enrolled in the class (a transcript or letter from the professor is appropriate), as well as copies of the student's clearances (State Police, Public Welfare Child Abuse, and FBI Criminal History). The documents will be kept on file in the main office.
- On each day of observation, the student must check in at the main office and register as a visitor. Students are expected to be dressed professionally and are also expected to conduct themselves professionally throughout the process. Failure to do so may result in observation privileges being revoked.
It is a privilege to be able to support future educators, just as we believe it is a privilege for future educators to observe in our high school. We appreciate everyone's cooperation in following these procedures so that observations can be both meaningful for the student but also not represent a burden on our teaching staff and students.
Online Safety Education:
Students will receive information about registering for the online safety course (offered through the district free of charge) during course selection process prior to their Sophomore year.
The Online Safety Course is an elective course and not a graduation requirement.
If you have any questions on this course, please contact Dr. Adams at the High School.
**NEW 7/1/18** Log-In for Online Safety
TESTING DATES for 2018-19:
Aug. 28, Sept. 25, Oct. 30, Nov. 20, Dec. 18 HS Office 3:00 PM
January 7, 8, 9, 10 Library 3:00 PM
Sign up in the Guidance Office.
If you want to schedule a summer final exam, please contact Dr. Adams.
All modules must be complete before testing can be done.
Behind-the-Wheel Driver Training:
York Suburban High School offers an optional six-hour Behind-the-Wheel driver training course outside of the regular high school curriculum.
Registering: To register for the on-the-road driver training, a registration from must be picked up in the high school office. Please bring the driver's permit with you when picking up the application as it will be copied and attached to the application.
Prerequisite: Online Safety Course
Cost: $300 payable at first lesson
Duration: Six (6) 1-hour lessons
Scheduling: After submitting your application, you will be contacted when there is available behind-the-wheel driving time.
If you have any questions about the Behind-the-Wheel driver training course, please contact Mr. VanHouwe at the high school.
In order to qualify for any discounts offered by insurance companies, a student must take both the Behind-the-Wheel driver training and the online safety education course.
If you need proof of completion for insurance, please contact Mr. VanHouwe at the high school.
DMV-Permit-Test.com provides free access to a wealth of driver-related resources, including:
- free online permit practice tests based on the actual contents of each State’s Driver Manual
- driver's training
- frequently asked questions
- latests official Driver’s Manuals
DMV-Permit-Test.com's aim is to make the road a safer place. Students will not be asked to provide email addresses, create accounts, or share any other personal information.
While some clubs are established for the school year, many remain open for membership. Students should pay attention to Newslink and the scrolling announcements to obtain more information or they may contact the advisor if interested in a specific club or activity.
To participate, students are required to:
- be in good standing for attendance,
- turn in a fully-completed Contract for Participation (CFP),
- pay the Student Activity Fee (if applicable - see the SAF column below),
- turn in a fully-completed Proof of Insurance Form, and
- meet academic eligibility requirements.
In addition, some organizations may have application procedures that must also be followed.
Hazing Policy - District Hazing Policy #247
FITNESS CENTER/WEIGHT ROOM
Open to Students Every Day During the School Year
After School w/Mr. Marshall
3:15 - 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday
and 3:15-3:45 Friday
York Suburban's Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, and Yearbooks can be purchased through Josten's.
Amy Kitner RN
Health Room Assistant
Tammy Daugherty LPN
Phone: 717-885-1270 x8010
High school provides many challenges for your child. Please talk to your child to see how s/he is coping. Communication is a powerful tool for parents and school staff to support the children as they deal with the demands of high school.
In an effort to support parental decisions, if you decide to send your child to school, I will encourage him/her to remain in school - unless there are observable or measurable signs of illness.
Attention: Parents of 11th grade students
All 11th grade students are required by the state to have a current Physical Exam (PE) form on file with their school nurse (10th grade Physical Exam reports are acceptable).
Please return your child’s Physical Exam report (or copy of their sports physical) to the school nurse by the first day of school of their junior year. Physical Exam forms are available in the HS Office or on the district website.
Attention: Parents of 12th grade students
Please be aware that The Pennsylvania Department of Health requires all students entering 12th grade to have a second meningococcal vaccination.
Proof of this immunization must be submitted by all incoming seniors before the start of school their senior year.
This immunization is typically given at the 16 year old physical. Please contact your child's doctor to see if they already received the shot or to schedule an appointment for them to receive the shot it.
Please provide the school with a copy of your child’s immunization record from the doctor’s office confirming they have had this immunization before the end of school their junior year if possible.
Please contact the nurse with any questions at AKitner@yssd.org.
*** All 2018-19 Parking Permits have been issued. ***
Students at York Suburban are required to have a parking permit to park on campus during the school day.
In order to obtain a Parking Permit:
- students must complete a the application which is available on the Forms Tab in Infinite Campus or in the High School Office.
- students must pay the $10 parking permit fee through IC or by cash, check, or money order in the High School Office.
- students must present their driver's license to the High School Office.
Parking Permits will not be issued until all three items have been completed.
The initial day parking permits will be issued for the 2018-19 school year is Thursday, 8/16/18.
- Seniors 8-10am
- Juniors 10am-11:30am
- Sophomores and Freshman 2-4pm
Please see the Student Handbook for further information on parking on and around campus.
Click below for:
The goal of the Learning Center is to provide assistance and productive working environment for York Suburban students. Tutoring is the priority of the Learning Center. The Learning Center is staffed by certified teachers who are available to answer questions, clarify concepts, and provide technology support for any assignment in all subject areas.
The Pennsylvania Child Labor Law requires minors to obtain work permits prior to beginning work.
York Suburban School District, as an agent for the Commonwealth of Pennsyvania, issues work permits for minors (ages 14-17) living within the boundaries of the district regardless of which school they attend. If you live outside of York Suburban School District, please contact your home district to obtain a work permit.
(Application forms are also available in the High School Main Office.)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR WORK PERMIT
Section A is to be completed by the applicant (except the signature block for the Issuing Officer).
Section B is to be completed and signed by the applicant's parent or legal guardian.
When the application is complete, please bring it to the High School Main Office along with one (1) form of legal identification that shows the applicant's name and birthday (Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, Passport, etc.). A permit is usually issued immediately.
State law requires the presence of the student to sign the Work Permit in the presence of the issuing officer.
Pennsylvania Child Labor Law including Frequently Asked Questions.