- Activity Fee - There is a $50 activity fee for any student that will be involved with an extra-curricular activity At the Middle School level, this includes athletic teams for grades 7 and 8, Sounds of Tomorrow, Jazz Band, and the Musical for all grades.
- Attendance - Absence notes can now be submitted online. To report an absence, go to www.yssd.org/ms/pgresources and click on the Absence Note.
- Cell Phones - We discourage cell phones being brought to school. All students will have daily access to technology provided by the school and will not need their own device. All phones should remain in the student’s assigned locked locker. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen personal devices. All students must abide by the Acceptable Use Policy. Failure to do so will result in confiscation of phone and consequences.
- Communication - In addition to a bi-weekly email, we will also communicate through the following social media:
- Website – documents and announcements
- Infinite Campus – Student Information (grades, attendance, behavior)
- Schoology – Learning Management (daily HW assignments, assignment calendars, curriculum learning materials)
- Twitter: @YorkSuburbanMS – announcements, students in action
- Instagram: YorkSuburbanMS – classroom stories and students in action
- Dress Code - We are committed to providing a safe and orderly learning environment for all students. For this reason, we will continue to enforce a dress code. While planning your school wardrobe, students and parents/guardians are reminded to exercise good judgment in the selection of appropriate clothing for school. Please refer to the dress code as presented on page 23 of the Code of Conduct. Students violating the dress code will be asked to correct the issue immediately before returning to class. If necessary, parents will be called to bring proper clothing so the student may resume his or her regular schedule.
- Field Trips - Information on this year’s field trips will be sent home with your child after the start of school.
- First Day of School for All 6th Graders and New Students - Monday, August 19th
- First Day of School for All Students - Tuesday, August 20th
- Forgot Something? - Dropped off items should be limited to educational purposes only. Please note, dropped off items will not be immediately delivered to the student.
- Lunch Pricing - The cost of a school lunch will be $2.75 and school breakfast will be $1.40. We will continue to use the computerized debit system www.k12paymentcenter.com. Students will maintain their previous accounts. A parent may deposit any amount of money into the student’s account by simply placing the money or check made payable to YSSD Food Service Fund, into an envelope and writing the student’s name, homeroom, and PIN number on the face of the envelope.
- School Day - The school day begins at 7:50 a.m. (seated in homeroom) and ends at 3:00 p.m. Any student that arrives at 7:50 or after will be considered tardy to school. Tardy students should report to the office first and then may stop into the cafeteria to pick up his or her breakfast.
- Student Drop Off - Parents who drive their children to school should drop them off at the main door entrance between 7:40 AM and 7:45 AM. The first car in line should pull past the front doors to the Library Entrance. The following cars should pull in line along the curb behind the first stopped vehicle. Students should immediately exit the car when it is stopped along the curb. Students and Parents should not stop one car at a time at the front doors.
- Volunteering - If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the YSSD website at www.yssd.org/our-district/human-resources. Please note there is a processing time of about one month as each volunteer must be approved by the School Board.
- Students may be excused from school attendance for up to five (5) school days per year to participate in educational tours or trips. These must be pre-approved two (2) weeks prior to the trip.
- Educational trips will not be approved during the first 10 days and last 10 days of the school year, or during standardized testing windows.
- Trip forms are available on the school district website or in any school building office.
REMINDER FROM NURSE
Dear Parents of 7th graders for 2018-19:
All students entering 7th grade will need to have the Tdap and Meningitis vaccines, as well as a dental report. This is required by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. If your child has not had these vaccines and/or a dental report, please see the attachments for the dental form and information about back to school immunization clinics. Thank you and have a fun and safe summer!
Dianne Hannack, RN
Yorkshire Elementary School Nurse 717-885-1230
York Suburban Middle School Nurse 717-885-1260