Visit this page to stay up-to-date on the planning of projects related to improving district buildings.
In 2016, YSSD commissioned a Facility Study to provide the District guidance on how best to manage its facilities for the foreseeable future. Some recent changes in intended uses of undeveloped property in the western part of the District prompted the Board to commission a revision to that study as it anticipates growing enrollment. The information provided chronologically below begins the conversation about how best to meet the future needs of the District and its students.
February 2019 - Enrollment Projections: When trying to determine future needs, a district must first determine future student populations. YSSD recently performed an internal enrollment projection and also commissioned an external, third-party enrollment projection. The District also considered the Pennsylvania Department of Education's (PDE) enrollment projections. The three different reports may be found here:
February/March 2019 - Facility Study: At the February 6, 2019 Facilities Committee Meeting, Gilbert Architects unveiled the first draft of the revised facility study. A revised version was discussed at a follow-up special board meeting on March 11, 2019. A final daft is due in the March/April time frame:
- Presentation of First Draft: Gilbert Architects made this presentation at the February 6, 2019 Facilities Committee Meeting. Gilbert updated the study from 2016 and noted areas where the District would have to make changes to accommodate expected growth in all of the District's buildings. The study determined that each building would need additions/renovations to meet increased enrollment needs and/or outdated infrastructure. Gilbert also presented four additional options for the district to consider as it begins the long process toward accommodating District needs.
- Presentation for Revised Draft: On March 11, 2019, Gilbert Architects delivered this presentation as a starting point for discussions about how to handle future growth and to narrow down the options for consideration. An audio recording of that meeting is available. The minutes are also available.
- Final Draft: March/April of 2019, Gilbert is scheduled to deliver a final draft of the 2019 Facility Study.
April 3, 2019 - Facilities Committee Meeting: There were two presentations at this meeting. One about the more immediate physical plant needs across the District and the other about the educational program needs relative to any changes in facilities. They are linked here:
May 8, 2019 - Facilities Committee Meeting: During this meeting the Administration presented a Conceptual Framework for addressing the projected growing enrollment. The Administration recommends consideration of the framework as an alternative to the options in the Facilities Study above. The proposal takes into consideration the instructional environment and addresses future fiscal concerns. The Facilities Committee provided consent to continue exploring this option by engaging Gilbert Architects who will provide cost estimates for this conceptual framework.
June 10, 2019 - Finance Committee Meeting: Gilbert Architects presented the physical and financial considerations for the Conceptual Framework from the May 8th meeting. The presentation outlines how the buildings would be modified for the Conceptual Framework and the costs involved as compared to Option 1 from March 11th.
July 10, 2019 - The Finance and Facilities Committees held a combined meeting to discuss the information presented at the June 10th meeting. The Board asked the Administration to prepare information that showed the impact of the projected enrollment numbers on future personnel needs.
August 7, 2019 - Facilities Committee Meeting: At this meeting it was determined that future conversations about future facilities needs should be with the whole board, and it was suggested that we have 30 to 45 minute discussions on specific topics at each Board Planning Meetings, the first of which will be September 9, 2019. The first topic will be grade-level consolidation vs. the current grade configuration.
August 19, 2019 - Board Meeting: The August Superintendent's Report contained some information about current and historical class sizes and student to teacher ratios at York Suburban and how the ratios compare to demographically similar school districts in Pennsylvania. This was information requested from the July 15 meeting. Meeting minutes and video are available.
September 9, 2019 - Board Meeting: The Board held a lengthy conversation about grade-level consolidation/realignment as outlined in the Conceptual Framework vs. continuing with the current grade configuration. The positive aspects of each were discussed. The Board asked for feedback from the teaching staff for the October 7, 2019 Board meeting so that the Board may provide some direction then. Meeting minutes and video are available.
October 7, 2019 - Board Meeting: When the K-5 teachers were surveyed, 72% of them favored the grade-level consolidation/realignment. After more discussion, the Board gave the Administration the task of developing two options for grade-level consolidation/realignment. It was also determined that the next discussion topic will be class sizes. The video of this meeting is available. The minutes will be posted once they are approved.
November 4, 2019 - Board Meeting: The discussion topic for this meeting was class size, as it will have a significant impact on future facilities needs. From the minutes of that meeting:
A 45-minute discussion about class size guidelines took place and Mr. Posenau summarized the comments heard that small class size is important. Philosophically, we want to realign grades and retain the class size guidelines. Class size will drive decisions about staffing and facilities. We will need to review the proposals from last spring, look for additional opportunities and to quote our Administration, “It is time to think outside the box.”
Future Conversations: The District's Facilities Committee and the Board will use this information to make future determinations about how best to proceed with addressing District growth. All conversations will take place at regular Board meetings, Facilities Committee meetings, and/or specially scheduled Board meetings.
- February 5, 2020 - Property/Finance Committee Meeting: This Board Committee will discuss the 2020-21 budget and hear a presentation from Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates Architects about suggested renovations to the Middle School Music area and the High School's Media Center.
- February 10, 2020 - Board Meeting: Crabtree will deliver a presentation about learning spaces. There will also be a State of the District report.